Has anyone tracked down the
sources of the skazillions of samples on "Portrait" and in the band's other
Well, not all of them, but here are some:
- "Come and get your lollipops" and "If there are children here, my
friend, you will die!" in Organ Grinder - The Child-Catcher from "Chitty
Chitty Bang Bang"
- "Burn (you fuckers!)" in Dogma - Mink Stole as Connie Marble in
John Waters' "Pink Flamingos." Complete line "Burn, you fucker, burn!" used
in one of the cassette versions.
- "Go home to your mother!" rant at end of LP - Mink Stole again,
this time in "Desperate Living"
- beginning of Down in the Park - from John Carpenter film
"Prince of Darkness"
- "The Great Hoodoo..." and "Prepare to meet your doom!" in Dope
Hat - Charles Nelson Reilly as The Great HooDoo, from 70's kids' TV show
- "Who put the goddam hat on the bed" also in Dope Hat - Matt Dillon from
- opening scream and Little Man's laughter in Wrapped In Plastic-
from "Twin Peaks"
- "beep beep" sequence in Misery Machine - the Playmates'
golden-oldie Beep Beep
- "Where's the chocolate?," "nobody ever comes in and nobody ever
goes out," "little surprises around every corner but nothing dangerous",
and probably others in the demo track Choklit Factory - all from "Willy
Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."
- "Those fucking bitches..." and "Thanks for killing my mom" in the
demo track Number 9 are from the 1980's film "Desperate Teenage Lovedolls."
- The music sample in the beginning of I Put A Spell On You is from
"Texas Chainsaw Massacre."
For more indepth sample transcriptions please see the following by Barry Toma:
The Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy dialogue from Procardia/May Cause Discoloration Of The Urine Or Feces
Justify My Love phone conversation
Down In the Park Opening
Abuse Pt. 1
Abuse Pt. 2